Saturday, October 6, 2007

A remembrance of success.


"The thing I remember best about successful people I've met all through the years is their obvious delight in what they're doing...and it seems to have very little to do with wordly success. They just love what they're doing, and they love it in front of others." Fred Rogers


October 3, 2007 God welcomed home Dr Russell Shearer after a long and very courageous battle with kidney cancer. Dr Shearer was such an influencial person in so many people's lives an I am one of those who would stand up and say, he touched mine. Reading his obituary, you can see all the many councils, boards, staffs, associations and likes that he served on, but to have known the known the man was such an honor to me and I am sure those of us who were able to have been blessed with that opportunity. Dr Shearer first met me at Saint Joseph hospital as an ICU nurse and became such a mentor to me as a physician. I looked up to him as a resource and for advice when I needed it for my patient and valued the direction he would advise me in. That fellowship continued for several years but developed into a wonderful friendship and he helped out several family members, even operating on my son Austin, as well as my sister Jennifer. I will always be indebted to him for the grace, attention and care that he provided to each of them as well as the time that he took out to keep me informed of their care. But, just because I was a nurse, he wasn't giving me special treatment. That is the care that he afforded all his patient's. And he recieved compliments from his patient over and over again.

When I first learned of his illness, I was floored. I actually took care of Dr Shearer in the Recovery Room after his surgery, which to me was quite a honor. I felt like it was a small token of repayment for all he had done for me. I wanted to care for him and do all I could to make him as comfortable as I could at a low point in his life. And I vowed that I would try to continue that. I tried to send cards and make phone calls to him as much as I could. Not just because....but because of who he was. He was a wonderful man. A wonderful Doctor, a wonderful role model and a wonderful friend. He adored his wife Linda and his two daughters and taught me that NO MATTER WHAT...I always need to make time for Chad and the boys because in the end, that is what you have left-FAMILY. He and Linda had a date night every week. How awesome is that???? I hope that his passing was a peaceful and painless one. I know that his family was at his side and I know that God was there in the room waiting to take him home.

Although we here lost a beautiful soul, a wonderful physician and a wonderful man, Heaven brought home a beautifu angel and God welcomed home yet another very faithful servant. God Bless you Dr Shearer and until we meet again, you will be missed!

No comments: