Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Remembering the man.....




"To live in the hearts of those you leave behind is never to die...."
-Robert Orr

I attempted to complete this blog yesterday, August 27th, because it was Grandpa's birthday and he would have been 98 years old. I found each time I sat down to complete it that the words weren't there and the emotions were there ten fold. So I decided to walk away and try again today. And today, the feelings of getting the post completed meant also completing a tribute to the man Grandpa was. So today it came much easier.

It seems that as time passes, it should get easier to deal with the loss of Grandpa. Although I, as well as all of the family, know that he is in his eternal home in Heaven it still makes the grief of losing him heavy on your heart...especially in times when you celebrate him.

So today (or rather yesterday) I would like for everyone to celebrate our Grandpa. The wonderful husband, father, mentor, story teller and HERO that he is to so many people. He touched so many lives with not only his wonderful personality but with his love of Christ and his desire to share that love with others. I always looked up to my Grandpa with eyes full of wonderment as he filled my ears with stories of his childhood and life during the Depression. I see the love that my mother had for her father and the care and respect that she gave to him right through to the end of his time on earth. It wasn't always easy and sometimes was a tough love, but the thing is...the love was still there and there will never be any regrets, no need for do-overs and never a need for any of us to question our feelings toward our Grandfather/Father or the love that he reciprocated back to us.


Those of you who didn't get the honor of knowing him, I hope that as you go through life knowing me, you will get to see a part of the man that he was through the way that I live my life each day. I am proud to be Vivian James' granddaughter and will continue to celebrate him, as often as I can, to make sure those around me know the wonderful man that I consider one of my HEROS.


Happy Birthday Grandpa and we will always love you.....

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very well said. I thought of him all day...

We sure miss him.

stampingwithjill said...

I thought that was awesome! A great tribute to him. It made me teary-eyed. Missing a Grandpa is a feeling that just doesn't go away.