Thursday, August 23, 2007

Gentle Giant






































Before moving to Tennessee, and when I say before I mean four days before, I had to have Shelby put to sleep. Those of you who were fortunate enough to encounter Shelby will know that she was the most Gentle of Giants and was a dog that I felt God sent to me at the time when I needed her most. She was an older dog (almost 5 years old) when we adopted her but from day one she has had the loyalty and companionship of a dog that a family had since she was a puppy. She meant so much to me and the loss of her took such a piece of me with it because not only did I feel in some way that I was letting her down, it was happening at a very stressful time in my life with everything else going on. I have grieved for Shelby, for the dog that she was to me and my family, for the companionship and loyalty that she gave me but mostly because she was by my side through some really hard times medically. I could look at the side of my bed, or the couch where I was laying and she would be there beside me like a nurse tending to her patient. She will always be such a special dog to me and I thank God for giving her to me for the years that we were together. I wrote a poem about Shelby after having a rough night sleeping (well in all honesty Chad had the rough night because he is the one that I was beating up) but I hope that you can see the wonderful nature and personality that Shelby had and I thank her for all the love that she put into my life.

God fills your life with people
who will satisfy your needs.
Be it parents, siblings, spouse, kids, friends,
whomever it may be.
Sometimes that someone in order to find
you have to go and "get".
At a store or kennel, breeder or shelter
because that someone becomes your pet.
Mt pet, my baby, my Shelby Girl
was found one day by grace.
And I fell in love with everything about her
the minute I saw her face.
A casual visit, we didn't need a thing,
just strolling through PetSmart.
Austin hollared at me and I rounded the corner
and she instantly had my heart.
Convincing Chad though to bring her home
was going to be a chore.
She was beautiful, but mangy-spry, but 5 years old
and quite a BIG dog for sure!
Well, the battle was won and I brought Shelby home
and she made our home complete.
Everyone loved her, she was great with the kids.
No other dog could compete!
God decided it was Shelby's time to come home-
she had finally fulfilled her need.
So painfully and tearfully
I carried out that deed.
Shelby was my baby, my companion,
the best dog to my kids, my "Bess"
And now I hope for all that she gave me
She is able to get some rest.
She was loyal and loving, giant yet gentle
Loving as can be-
But most of all-without coincidence
she was God's great gift to me!
Love to you all and til next time-

5 comments:

stampingwithjill said...

It's a very touching poem! I can't think about it too much, though. Love ya, Jill

Jennifer said...

JoJo-
I am so glad that I could be with you. We will take very good care of her here...
She was a wonderful dog...the best ever. (Next to Hunter, of course...but Shelby smelled better.)
I love you.

mandi536 said...

Jodi, I am so sorry I can't believe I didn't know! I remember you bringing her home like it was yesterday. I have just cried and cried and I just want to hug you. Love you.

jamie said...

Jodi,
You did it! I'm so proud! I hope you will use your spare time (ha ha) to keep us updated on everything! Love you!

Cynthia said...

I love your poem! I never met Shelby and still felt the need to get teary eyed!

Cynthia