Monday, November 10, 2008

Free at last, Free at last.....





























OCTOBER 24, 2008
Today was a potential day of freedom for Austin. It was the day that we went back to the orthopedist and had his cast removed, xrays obtained and found out if his cast was able to stay off for good or if he was going to have to have another cast put back on because the growth plate fracture wasn't healing well enough as it should be.
We arrived at the ortho office and he hobbled in on his crutches, and I must say that I do believe that he was the youngest patient in the waiting room on this morning. All the sweet elderly patients looked at him like, "oh look at that poor young man with the broken leg" and I think they all would have given him a dollar if he would have walked around and talked to each of them. What a ham!!!!!

We signed in and took our seats and I of course forgot my book so I settled for an outdated magazine as Austin sat and texted on his phone. I can only imagine who as his friends should be in class and they should NOT be texting him back!!!!!
Anyhow, shortly after getting engrossed in my outdated magazine, we were called back to another room when there were machines and saws and all sorts of gadgets. This was the cast room where they would remove the cast. The gentleman came in and just got to work. NOW, I have had a cast or two (or three or four....) and I vividly remember them ALWAYS showing me that in no way would the saw that they would be using on my cast in anyway be harmful to me. They even demonstrated by using it on themselves before beginning on me. Now I know that I was younger BUT those of you that know Austin know that he would have benefitted from a little of that information. THANK HEAVENS that I told him about that before Mr Cast-remover jumped right in and did his duty!!!!
Now, the cast is off and he has this little skinny peg leg that has been hiding under that cast for three plus weeks. We then head for the xray then in to talk with Dr Dlabach. After a few more outdated magazines we receive the news......no new cast. He can go into a bendable immobilizer, stay out of sports still and start physical therapy with the goal of working back into sports. YEAH!!!!! What great news! Thanks for all your prayers-
Love to you all and til next time-

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Way to Go Austin! It was so wonderful to see you the past few months. Twice!!! I am getting spoiled!!! We miss you all so much!